Chiropractic Care for Shoulder Pain
Your shoulders are remarkably complex structures that possess remarkably complex capabilities -- when they are operating correctly. These shallow ball-and-socket joints can rotate in multiple directions, enabling you to perform a variety of tasks at work, at play, and at home. Unfortunately, the complex arrangement of tissues that make up the shoulder can fall prey to numerous ailments and injuries. That is when you need the all-natural healing techniques available at Sauk Prairie Chiropractic LLC, your trusted chiropractor in Prairie Du Sac WI.
Types and Causes of Shoulder Pain
To understand shoulder pain, let us first look at the shoulder itself. The bones of the shoulder form a socket for the ball-shaped top of the humerus (upper arm bone), with a layer of cartilage on the ball and socket surfaces that provide for smooth and effortless motion. A set of muscles and tendons, collectively known as the rotator cuff, control much of our shoulder motion. There are other friction reducing devices, called bursae preventing soft tissue friction. Nerves from the cervical spine extend through the shoulder region to the arm. Shoulder pain occurs when any of these structures encounters damage, compression, or inflammation. Examples include:
- Dislocation of the ball from the socket
- Painful inflammation of tendons and bursa, called impingement syndrome.
- Inflammation of the shoulder bursae, a problem known as bursitis
- Acute strains or sprains of the shoulder tissues
- Overuse of the shoulder muscles and tendons due to repetitive motion, which can lead to chronic strain injuries
- Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis), a painful shoulder stiffness that sometimes accompanies extended disuse or underlying health conditions
- Degeneration of the joint cartilage related to osteoarthritis
- Referred pain caused by nerve compression in the cervical spine
How Our Chiropractor Can Ease Your Pain
Since there are so many potential causes of shoulder pain, you may need a comprehensive examination to determine the exact nature of your shoulder pain. Once this is done therapy options can be determined. Our chiropractor will examine the shoulder joint itself, as well as the cervical spine, to look for associated problems that might aggravate your pain or create added pain issues. Your lifestyle, work habits, sports, and age may also factor into our diagnosis.
These diagnostic findings enable us to create a personalized shoulder treatment plan just for you. In some cases, chiropractic adjustments to the shoulder joint itself can optimize positional problems or fix a dislocation. Adjustments to your neck vertebrae can relieve compression that sends pain signals into your arm. We can also prescribe corrective exercises and lifestyle changes to help you improve your pain-free range of shoulder motion.
Get the Help You Need at Sauk Prairie Chiropractic LLC
Do you seek drug-free, surgery-free shoulder pain relief? Call Sauk Prairie Chiropractic LLC at (608) 643-4285. Our Prairie Du Sac chiropractor can help!